Friday, June 22, 2012

A short update

Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted. Sorry to say, I'm not much better off than I was when I last left you as far as my evolution of faith. I'm still not very good at being a Christian.

I keep telling myself that at least I'm trying, that little steps are still steps. I haven't been able to attend my home church recently, which as I previously stated, has been a really strong pillar for me. I was even going to a lifegroup for a while. But our lifegroup disbanded due to lack of attendance, and circumstances have made it difficult to travel to my home church most weekends.

So R and I have been trying new churches. There's a smallish Christian church up the street, which we've attended once. We were greeted warmly by the church staff and parishioners- we even found a really cool couple to talk with who invited us to their lifegroup (we had to decline unfortunately). But the church was not the same. It didn't have the energy and passion that my church has. It didn't grab my attention and fill me with spirit. Honestly, it felt a little like the Catholic churches I grew up in. So I began thinking about attending a local satellite campus of the Vineyard megachurch. I've had friends grow up in that church, and they've seemed to speak of it fondly. Then, one of those friends informed me through Facebook that the local pastor made an anti-gay sermon, saying "this is not religious bigotry". Which made me really really sad and frustrated. I can't believe this is going on in such a popular and seemingly progressive church here in my hometown.

On the positive side, I've found a network of people who are furthering the cause of LGBTQ awareness in Christianity at the Gay Christian Network. They're a group of really cool people who either accept or are in the process of accepting themselves and others as Christians who happen to be gay. It's a really positive place, and I'm enjoying getting to know people there. It's a very cool place.

So I can't attend my home church right now, and that kind of sucks, but I've been trying to limp along on my own, and considering how little practice I've actually had, I'd say I'm not doing too badly. Mainly because the pressure is off. I don't have to worry if I stumble because I know that God is still there to lift me up.

Luke 7:47-48 “…Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven—for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.” And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment